General Info


Registration fees do not include insurance of any kind. It is strongly recommended that at the time you register for the conference and book your travel you take out an insurance policy of your choice. The policy should include loss of fees/deposit through cancellation of your participation in the conference, or through cancellation of the conference, loss of international/domestic air fares through cancellation for any reason, loss of tour monies through cancellation for any reason including airline or related services strikes within Australia, failure to utilise tours or pre booked arrangements due to airline delay, Force Majeure or any other reason, medical expenses (including sickness and accident cover), loss or damage to personal property, additional expenses and repatriation should travel arrangements have to be altered. The conference managers cannot take any responsibility for any participant failing to arrange their own insurance. This insurance is to be purchased in your country of origin.


Perth Airport is a modern facility approximately half an hour away from the centre of Perth. The international and domestic terminals are easily accessible by car, taxi and bus.Taxis Taxis are available from both the domestic and international terminals. A taxi trip from the airport terminals to Perth city centre will take 20 to 30 minutes. The journey will cost approximately AUD$20.00 – AUD$30.00.

All taxis are meter operated by time and distance, and operate twenty four hours a day. Taxis indicate they are vacant by illuminating their sign on the roof. At both airport terminals available taxis will wait at the taxi rank.


An airport shuttle operates to and from domestic and international airports with convenient pick up points located near accommodation throughout Perth.

Fremantle Airport Shuttle also picks up at the domestic and international airports dropping off customers from Cottesloe to Cockburn.


Decimal currency is used in Australia with the dollar as the basic unit (100 cents = $1) Notes come in $100, $50, $20, $10, and $5. Coins come in 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2 denominations.Currency exchange facilities are available in most banks, hotels and airports and operate normal business hours. Credit cards are accepted at most restaurants and shops, the most widely used being Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Diners Club.


Banks generally open from 0930 – 1600 hours Monday – Friday. General office hours are 0900 – 1700 Monday – Friday. Post Offices operate these hours, however stamps are often available from hotels.


Spring (Sep-Nov): 10-25 ºC (50-77 ºF)Summer (Dec-Feb): 17-31 ºC (63-87 ºF)

Autumn (Mar-May): 12-29 ºC (55-84 ºF)

Winter (Jun-Aug): 9-19 ºC (48-66 ºF)

Generally Australians are informal dressers. We suggest you bring a jacket and tie with you for special occasions. A light jacket is recommended for evenings.
Please refer to the information on the social program for dress at social functions organised as part of the Conference, as some of these may require formal evening dress.


Bistros, restaurants, cafes and coffee shops offer varied menus, prices and decor. Local specialties such as seafood and Australian wines are worth trying. At some restaurants you can keep the liquor bill down by taking your own wine or beer. These are called “BYO” restaurants, an abbreviation for “bring your own”.


Electrical current is 240/250V, AC 50Hz. The Australian three-pin power outlet is different from that in many countries, so you will need an adaptor. If your appliances are 110V, check if there is a 110/240V switch. If not, you will need a voltage converter. Universal outlets for 240V or 110V shavers are usually found in leading hotels.


Since 1 July 2000, Australia has adopted a new taxation system incorporating the Goods & Services Tax (GST). All prices quoted in this brochure are inclusive of GST, unless otherwise specified. As part of this new taxation system, the Australian Government introduced the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS). The scheme is administered by the Australian Customs Department and took effect on 1 July 2000. The TRS enables travellers departing Australia to claim a refund of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) paid on goods bought in Australia. The refund applies to goods over the value of A$300 when items are purchased in the same shop within 30 days of your departure from Australia. Should an item be too large to take onto the aircraft as hand luggage you will need to visit the TRS clearing office at the international airport with the item and receipt. The receipt will be stamped TRS sited and at that point you can check the large item in with your luggage. Once you have cleared customs you can collect your refund from the TRS desk by showing your receipt or items purchased. It does not apply to services or goods consumed or partly consumed in Australia, however the goods can be used before departing Australia.


The official language for the conference is English.


Limited parking is available at The University of Western Australia from $A1.00 per hour.

Passport & Visa information

All visitors to Australia must have a valid visa to travel to and enter Australia.
Note: New Zealand and Norfolk Island passport holders do not usually need to lodge a visa application prior to their departure unless they have health and/or character concerns.
For the best possible chance of obtaining a visa to travel to Australia, you should:

  • Determine which visa you should apply for
  • Apply for your visa at least 6–8 weeks before your intended date of travel to Australia as visa processing times may vary
  • Consider Australia’s health and character requirements, which you will have to meet as part of the visa application process.
  • Delegates applying for a non-ETA visa may present their paid registration confirmation letter to an Australian visa office to support their application. No other letters will be issued for this purpose. As a NAME OF CONFERENCE delegate, you are not guaranteed to be granted a visa.
  • Visit the website of the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC): which has helpful information about Australian missions overseas, how to apply for visas and further details on visa applications, customs clearance, and quarantine regulations.

Visa options
If you are planning to visit Australia for a business event such as a conference, meeting or seminar, you need to apply for a business visa. The passport which you hold determines whether you can apply online, or if you need to lodge a paper-based application. The following information will help you identify the right visa and application process applicable to you.

Online applications
Passport holders from eVisitor eligible countries are able to apply online for a visa to travel to and enter
Australia. The most common visa for these passport holders is the eVisitor (Business stream).

eVisitor eligible countries
EU passport holders are able to apply individually online for authorisation to travel to and enter Australia.
The most common visa for these passport holders is the eVisitor.

Andorra * Hungary Poland
Austria * Iceland * Portugal *
Belgium * Ireland * Romania
Bulgaria Italy * Republic of San Marino *
Cyprus Latvia Slovak Republic
Czech Republic Liechtenstein * Slovenia
Denmark * Lithuania Spain *
Estonia Luxembourg * Sweden *
Finland * Malta * Switzerland *
France * Monaco * United Kingdom – British Citizen*
Germany * The Netherlands * Vatican city Greece * Norway *

Further information can be found at

Applications can be made at

eVisitor applications are free. A separate online application form is required for each family member who
holds a passport from an EU eligible country and wishes to travel with you to Australia, including children
under the age of 18 who are included on your passport.

* eligible passport holders also have the option of applying for an ETA through your travel agent, airline,
specialist service provider or an Australian visa office outside Australia. Note, travel agencies may choose
to impose a fee to arrange an ETA on your behalf.
An ETA is equivalent to a visa, but there is no stamp or label in your passport and there is no need for you to visit an Australian diplomatic office to submit an application. Applications for ETAs can be submitted through travel agents or airlines.

ETA eligible countries
Passport holders from Electronic Authority Travel (ETA) countries are also able to apply for a visa online
to travel to and enter Australia.
Hong Kong (SAR) *
San Marino
South Korea
Taiwan **
United States of America

* A Hong Kong Document of Identity (HKDI) cannot be used to apply for an ETA. Residents of Hong Kong require a citizen passport to apply for this visa.
** Holders of Taiwanese passports can only be processed for an ETA if residing and applying in Taiwan. Applications can be lodged with an approved ETA travel agent in Taiwan, or Australian visa services office in Taipei.
Further information can be found at

Applications can be made at

There is no visa application charge for this visa but a service fee of $AUD20 is charged for online
applications and travel agencies may choose to impose a fee to arrange an ETA on your behalf.
A separate online application form is required for each family member who holds a passport from an
ETA-eligible country and wishes to travel with you to Australia, including children under the age of 18 who
are included on your passport.

Paper-based applications
All other passport holders need to submit a paper-based application for a Business (Short Stay) visa
(subclass 456).
A visa application charge of $AUD105 will need to be paid when applying for this visa.
More information on this visa is available at


Because of time change and jet lag the Organising Committee suggests you consider arriving in Australia by 12 January 2014. This will enable you to relax and familiarise yourself with your hotel and its surrounds before the start of the conference.


Australia introduced the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 in 2001. The Conference Managers comply with such legislation which is designed to protect the right of the individual to privacy of their information. Information collected in respect of proposed participation in any aspect of the Conference will be only used for the purposes of planning and conduct of the Conference and may also be provided to the organising body or to organisers of future events. It is also usual to produce a ‘Delegate List’ of attendees at the Conference and to include the individual’s details in such a list. Consent for publication of the individual’s information may be withheld when completing the Registration Form for the Conference. Individuals are also entitled to access the information held by written application to the Conference Managers.


Australia is free from many plant and animal diseases prevalent in other countries. Very strict quarantine rules apply to the import of animals and plants, which cannot be brought into the country without prior application. Animal and plant products are also restricted.For more information see the ‘Information for International Travelers’ on the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) website, which you can access by visiting


Shops open from 0900 to 1730 hours during the week with late night shopping on Friday in Perth city until 2100 hours. On Saturday, most city shops open from 0900 to 1700 hours. On Sunday Perth city shops are open from 1200 to 1700.


Perth is 7 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time.


Tipping is not as widespread or regulated in Australia as it is in other parts of the world. Tipping is your prerogative, a reward for service. It is customary to tip hotel porters and a gratuity of about 10 per cent is usual in restaurants if good service is received. Tips for taxis are regarded as optional.


A current valid international certificate of inoculation against yellow fever is required if passengers come from, or travel through, infected areas. Check this carefully with your airline or travel agent.